- Start With Pencil Eyeliner – Pencils are much easier to handle compared to liquid liners. You don’t need a steady hand plus it’s easier to remove if you mess up. Pencil eyeliners which are easy to use include Revlon ColorStay and L’Oreal Infallible.
- Makeup artist Lisa Elridge recommends pushing the liner into your lashline in order to create the illusion of a thicker lashline.
- Do NOT draw a straight line! Drawing a straight line will look unnatural. Start by applying in small sections
- Put your finger on the middle of your brow & pull up in order to get close to the lashline. Try Benefit’s Push Up Liner which is designed to push lases aside and get close to the lashline.
- You don’t want any skin to peek through
How To Do Eyeliner For Bigger Looking Eyes…
- DO NOT draw eye liner all around your bottom lashline as this will make your eyes appear smaller!
- However, DO dot a pencil eye liner around from the outside corner till about midway and smudge it out.
- For a softer effect apply a brown powder eye shadow on your bottom lashes from the corner to about halfway in with a slanted brush (We like MAC’s angled 208 brush) and push it into your lashline. A cheap dupe that works well is the Sonia Kashuk slanted eye liner brush.
- Curl your lashes! Curling your lashes will open up your eyes and give a “wide eye” effect. The most popular eye lash curlers are those from Shiseido & Shu Uemura
- Dab a light color highlighter or eye shadow in the very corner of your inner eye in order to look more “bright eyed” and awake.
How To Apply Liquid Liner…
- DON’T be afraid to mess up. It’s just makeup.
- DO have a Q-tip and foundation on hand. If you make a mistake dab foundation on the q-tip in order to erase any misplaced liner
- Pro Makeup artist Dam-Mikkelson recommends using a pencil first in order to trace the lashline and create a blueprint for where you’re going to be applying the liner.
- Next go over the line with a flat angled brush with a gel eye liner like MAC Fluidline or Inglot Eyeliner Gel.
- Dip a q-tip in makeup remover and slide it across the wing for an extra sharp line.
How To Do Eyeliner For A Dramatic Look
- Line all the way around your upper and lower lashline making sure to line the upper water line
- Line the bottom lashes including the waterline. Need an eyeliner that will last on your waterline? Try Milani Infinite Liquid Eyeliner, MAC Fluidline or L’Oreal Infallible Eye Liner.
- If you are using a pencil eye liner you can go over it with a matching color eye shadow applied with the MAC 208 for extra intensity
How To Line The Waterline
The water liner is the inner rim of your eye; lining your waterline creates a more intense look.
- DO pick a waterproof liner such as MUFE Aqua Eyes Liner or IT Cosmetics No-Tug Gel Liner in order to prevent smearing.
- ALSO…. curl your lashes first before you line the waterline
- When lining the lower lashline, gently pull down your lashline and run your pencil gently across the waterline
- SET the eye liner with a flat brush dipped in black shadow (we like MAC Carbon) over the waterline for extra long lasting power
- Line the lower lashline as well; this will help your eye makeup look polished even when your waterline fades…
- You may want to try waterlining with brown or bronze colors for a more natural & softer look
- BE CAREFUL if you wear contact lenses or have sensitive eyes as waterlining may irritate your eyes
Make Your Eyeliner Last Longer….
- Apply a primer first before putting eye liner. We love Urban Decay Primer Potion
- Seal it with an eye liner sealant like Cinema Secrets Eyeliner Sealer.
- Apply a setting powder under your eyes in order to prevent under eye smudges. We absolutely love Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder & Ben Nye Banana Powder.
Tips For Your Eye Shape
- If you have round eyes, you may want to elongate your eye shape by extending your liner at the end
- If you have downturned eyes you can accentuate the shape of your eye by extending your liner out in order to create a cat-eye
- If you have small eyes avoid lining the bottom waterline excessively as this can make eyes appear even smaller
- If you have close-set eyes concentrate on the outer corner of your eyes & avoid lining right at the tear duct since this will make eyes appear even closer